2,4-D is short for 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid, similar to 2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid. Add a chlorine molecule and you can convert di-chlor into tri-chlor and hey presto, you’ve got ‘Agent Orange’.
The APVMA admitted this in the February 2013 Budget Senate Estimates, to questions put to the CEO of the APVMA by ATP, through Senator Heffernan http://www.atpenvironmental.com.au/?attachment_id=148.
2,4-D has a ring structure very similar to Oestrogen, that is why 2,4-D effects Oestrogen Levels in Humans and other Animals. The Synthetic Oestrogen binds to our DNA mirroring Oestrogen, no wonder it works as a herbicide! No wonder cancers have increased in correlation to this products mass release onto the Planet, its not rocket science.
You play around with peoples hormones, people start dying! They may not drop dead at work, 2,4-D contamination might take a while to knock you off, as opposed to Paraquat (which the APVMA still allow to be consumed by all Australians…sick!).
Oestrogen binding on to Human DNA
The APVMA has know the whole time the inherent risks of destabilising 2,4-D formulas. That’s is why they provide carefully designed clauses in the Permits that are meant to inform users of the Conditions of Use when operating under Federal Permits. The clauses are designed carefully enough they they play both sides of the coin. For instance Permit 11463, which SCRC claim to be operating under allows use of products in Coastal and adjacent areas. Just underneigh that they contradict themselves and say only if the product is registered in Aquatic areas can they be used in and around Aquatic Areas.
2,4-D and Cancer
Numerous links have between 2,4-D use and various Cancers, particularly Hormone Related Caners (HRC’s) such as Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer and Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma http://www.atpenvironmental.com.au/?attachment_id=135.
The renowned Sierra Club of Canada (http://www.atpenvironmental.com.au/?attachment_id=149) claim that:
- “Despite industry efforts claiming the safety of this chemical, there is a large body of evidence indicating major health effects, from cancer to immunosuppression, reproductive damage to neurotoxicity.”
- “In mammals, 2,4-D disrupts energy production (Zychlinkski & Zolnierowicz, 1990), depleting the body of its primary energy molecule, ATP (adenosine triphosphate) (Palmiera et al., 1994). 2,4-D has been shown to cause cellular mutations which can lead to cancer. This mutagen contains dioxins, a group of chemicals known to be hazardous to human health and to the environment (Littorin, 1994).
- 2,4-D causes slight decreases in testosterone release and significant increases in estrogen release from testicular cells (Liu et al., 1996).
- Male farm sprayers exposed to 2,4-D had lower sperm counts and more spermatic abnormalities compared to men who were not exposed to this chemical (Lerda & Rizzi, 1991).
- In Minnesota, higher rates of birth defects have been observed in areas of the state with the highest use of 2,4-D and other herbicides of the same class. This increase in birth defects was most pronounced among infants who were conceived in the spring, the time of greatest herbicide use (Garry et al, 1996).
- 2,4-D also interferes with the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine. In young organisms, exposure to 2,4-D results in delays in brain development and abnormal behaviour patterns, including apathy, decreased social interactions, repetitive movements, tremor, and immobility (Evangelista de Duffard et al, 1995). Females are more severely affected than males.
- The neurotoxic and anti thyroid effects of 2,4-D make it highly likely that fetuses, infants, and children will be more susceptible to long-term adverse health effects from exposure to this chemical although they may appear normal at
- Postnatal exposures to this chemical during the critical period for development of the infant brain are of serious scientific concern.
- Workers applying chlorinated phenoxy herbicides frequently have nervous system disorders, are exposed to a higher risk of soft tissue sarcoma, and show symptoms of hormonal and internal organ irregularities. (Kogevinas, 1995; National Research Council of Canada, 1983). A study of farmers in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba linked use of 2,4-D to an increased incidence of prostate cancer (Morrison et al, 1993). An Italian study by Miligi et al (2003) showed that an associated between NHL and 2,4-D in women. Hardell & Eriksson (1999) also demonstrated the link between exposure of 2,4-D and NHL. Their research identified a latency period between exposure and diagnosis of NHL, which could be a reason why there is conflicting research on the issue.
If 2,4-D is a a causative factor in such large numbers of Cancers diagnosis, it makes me wonder what the Cancer risks are for GLORICIDE which could easily be 100 times worse than using either component separately.
Mixing 2,4-D products with other formulas is only going to make using 2,4-D much more risky, as per WH&SQ advice to SCRC and the Queensland Premier. Sheer stupidity, I sure hope the SCRC has got Insurance for operating illegally with Dangerous Chemicals, wishful thinking!
2,4-D use in and around Aquatic Areas
Council dimwits and other pathetic bureaucrats use this clause that allows the use of products in Coastal and Adjacent Areas that are not Registered for use in Aquatic Areas to allow products to be anywhere they like, irrespective of other clauses.
The APVMA do this purposefully to mislead the Users and Courts, it can be easy to read only parts of the Permit if you are intent on being creative in fighting with the mentality that they are at ‘War on Weeds’. The only people benefiting out of these arrangements are the Chemical Companies who increase profits in the short term and the Contractors and Consultants getting rich being creative/reckless with Permits and Chemicals.
The APVMA also receive addition funding as they do not process chemical problems in a timely manner and are systemically constipated. The CEO keeps saying we are understaffed and overworked and pay us more money. It costs the APVMA allot of money to do absolutely nothing, however it costs the Community 1000 times as much in indirect costs such as death, disease and disaster!
Does the Community really benefit from having a Regulator that is independent from the Community and is paid by its customer who just happen to be Chemicals Monoliths and the whole US Military Industrial & Financial Complex?
Mixing 2,4-D under ‘Off Label Permits’
If you are really creative like Technigro, SCRC and SEQ Catchments you can mix permits just like miking chemicals, add them altogether and you can do anything you want. SCRC claim to be able to operate under both a Research Permit 7250 and a Minor Use Permit 11463, to use 2,4-D etc the way they do.
One permit allows you to mix and experiment with anything you like up to 10m2 and the other says you can use Registered Products further to the Manufactures Instructions. Putting the two permits together is a stupid idea concocted by stupid people and being used as an excuse to continue to illegally allow the Government to contaminate its constituents.
2,4-D etc has been used by SCRC and many other Local Councils in and around Aquatic Areas for years, without a valid Permit. No one is regulating these boffins, so they can do whatever they like with the stiff basically. Its like the wild west, anything goes round here, not one restriction!
2,4-D Environmental Damage
The damage to ecosystems caused by SCRC deliberately exceeding the 2,4-D Manufactures Instructions is almost unbearable. It is the Regulators that are allowing the Manufactures Product to be implicated in regional illegal contaminations. This is not a good look for these businesses. Now the Manufactures Products have been exposed to the Public as highly negligent, which will inturn hurt their business internationally.
It is the Regulators giving the Chemical Manufactures a bad name in this regard and ultimately the regulators are going to cause long term brand damage to these companies. That’s what happens when you go too far in one direction. The APVMA has basically allowed anything goes and now we’ve got some of the highest cancer and suicide rates in the world. You can only push the hormonal balance so far and then it tips irreversibly.
APVMA’s and 2,4-D’s Love affair
It is only a matter of time before the APVMA will be forced to ban the rest of Agent Orange. They came a bit closer this week by banning 2,4-D High Volatile Esters on the 21st August 2013. The APVMA broke 2,4-D down into salts and esters to draw out the report as long as they could. The APVMA is 96% funded by Chemical Giants so their actions should be no real surprise to anybody!
The conclusion of the 2,4-D saga may be another 20 years away if the past is anything to go by. The APVMA have become the laughing stock of the nation, every comment on them is negative and most people can’t believe that these people are allowed to be in charge, its a national disgrace!
The APVMA has no oversight from anyone they are their to do the Governments dirty work like approving Poisons for food crops etc that have never been tested and no concept about how these hormonal products effects humans or endangered species or the Great Barrier Reef.
The APVMA has been able to get away with it for so long, partly due to statutory exceptions from prosecutions under the APVMA Act. The APVMA and the rest of the ‘Crown’, have been given immunity by the Government from their own Laws. They can do anything they like as long as the Minister and DAFF are ‘on-board’. They can be the biggest criminals in the world responsible for Genocide, Fraud and breaching International Law, however they will never be prosecuted under any APVMA legislation!
When push comes to shove, the Government of the day will point fingers at the Regulator and say bad…bad regulator! It is the Politicians that run the DAFF and the Prime Ministers Office, that are ultimately behind everything the APVMA does. No easy scape goat here for these pollies, they have all been suitably briefed and are aware of the ongoing risks and SCRC’s ongoing illegal behaviours and cover-up!
The Prime Minister/s and the Premier/s and the SCRC Mayor/s and Councillors have all been informed of the illegal use of 2,4-D and GLORICIDE. Still the Commonwealth and Queensland Ombudsman’s are refusing to investigate any aspects of our complaint and allowing illegal loss of life and deliberate environmental harm to continue unabated. That’s a problem for the PM’s, Premier’s and Mayor/s concerned!